Mid December of 2015 I sat in front of my closet, frustrated because I had so much clothes but always felt like I had NOTHING to wear. That same day, I pulled everything out of my closet and my dresser and everything I had in storage and threw it all on my bed and began sorting through it. You can read my exact steps on how I created my capsule wardrobe here.
And that began my love for having a minimal capsule wardrobe. It has now been a little over a year since I created that first capsule wardrobe and I am still loving my clothes and best of all, I am not feeling overwhelmed every time I look at my closet. Each item that I chose is something that fits me well and is something that I love to wear! Creating a capsule wardrobe was the best choice I made regarding my wardrobe!
I am still developing my personal style and there were many mistakes that I made that first year when it came to choosing the items for my capsule. I wanted to share a few of those mistakes that I made along this journey.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you shop from my blog, I may be compensated for clicks or purchases that you make at no extra cost to you.
Capsule Wardrobe Mistakes:
- The first thing I did wrong in probably the first 2 capsule I created (I do one for each season) was not really consider what I do each day. I am a stay-at-home mom. I used to work at an elementary school so a lot of my wardrobe consisted of professional type clothing. I really enjoyed dressing up for work and it took me a while to discover that I can still dress in a way that I enjoy but that was more tailored to my lifestyle at home.
- The second mistake that I am still occasionally making is adding items that I like because they look good on other people. For me, this was especially difficult in the summer. I love the idea of throwing on a tank top with a pair of shorts and going from there to create my outfit. Yet, I would never reach for any of the 4 tank tops I put in my capsule because I did not like the way they looked on me. Isn’t the whole point of a capsule wardrobe to choose items that you LOVE how they look on you? YES! So if you don’t love how an item looks on you and you are not comfortable wearing it, then don’t choose it, because it will just clutter up your capsule.
- The third mistake was not adding enough variety in color. Don’t get me wrong; I loved my spring capsule wardrobe! It consisted of pretty whites (that mostly went unworn…), gray, light pink, and black colors. It was gorgeous to look at and photograph, but by that third month of wearing it, I was ready for some more colors! It’s all about balance. I think I am starting to learn that lesson a little more now. This winter capsule I have now has a lot of the neutrals that I love, and it also has some maroon, a green sweater from Old Navy, and a brown sweater (I know, brown is a neutral, but it is completely different from anything I have had before and I love it!)
- Don’t feel like you have to stick to just one style. This one is still hard for me. I like to look nice, even if I am just hanging out at home with my son all day. I feel like I get more done if I am dressed and ready to take on the day. However, I also love a good “hanging out in sweats and a tee shirt” type day. (This really happens a lot more than I typically admit. If I’m being honest, most of my “fancier” clothes are worn for an outing and then I change into sweats or leggings as soon as I get home, ha! What can I say, I like comfort over everything else!) This last capsule, I added more casual items that still look slightly more put together. Ok, I’m assuming you have heard of the “athleisure” trend, right? If not, you can see what I am talking about here. I added items to my capsule this time that reflect this type of style. But I also still have my normal jeans and a nice top with a cute cardigan style as well. I decided to add both styles to my capsule in order to not limit my options. So don’t feel like you have to stick with just one style for your capsule.
- On that same style note, don’t add a style just because it is popular right now. Ok, I am all about adding one or two pieces that are trendy…that you love! But don’t just add something because your favorite blogger is wearing it. I searched high and low for a cute off the shoulder shirt to add to my summer capsule before I realized that it just was not practical for me. I absolutely love that style and I might have worn it out for date night, but I realized it was not practical for my day-to-day lifestyle. I am either cleaning the house or if I go out then I have a bag over my shoulder and a baby on my hip. All I pictured there was my top being pulled every which way and not looking cute at all, haha. Anyone tried wearing an off the shoulder top while holding a baby and a diaper bag and still had your top look cute? Let me know if it is possible! 😉
There you have it! My five mistakes I have made with my capsule wardrobe over the past year. I am so excited to continue doing a capsule wardrobe this year. I love that I am finally able to learn more about what my personal style is and most importantly that I feel comfortable and confident in what I wear! That is a huge step from last year at this time when I felt like nothing fit and I had nothing to wear.
Is that where you are at right now? Do you have a closet FULL of clothes but still feel like you have nothing to wear? I would encourage you to try a capsule wardrobe. You don’t have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. (I think I only bought maybe 5 new things the first time, but I really didn’t have many things that fit right after having my son.) Try it out! Here are the steps I took to create my first capsule wardrobe. And here is where I got the idea!
Let me know if you try this! I would love to know. Also, I am selling a few things from my closet here if you want to check it out!
Shop the post:
Linked up with Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Linky Party and the sites listed below! Click the photos to find more amazing posts!