When you first get married and are still in the “honeymoon phase” it is really easy to date your spouse. It’s just the two of you, so you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. And that’s great! There is nothing wrong with that. But then you have kids. When you have kids, it can be really hard to get out of the house for a date. You have to think about your baby now too. But getting out, just the two of you, is even more important now than ever!
I believe that for a family to function properly, the most important relationship that I need to invest in is my marriage. Even if you don’t have kids, it is still so important to take the time to date your spouse. Dating my husband not only strengthens our relationship, it also helps our son feel more secure at home when he is able to grow up and see that his parents are still in love and still invest time in each other.
Occasionally, when we do get to go out, our favorite thing to do is just go get dinner and sit and talk. I love going out because it gets us out of the house and away from things that might distract us from focusing on each other. (It can be really hard to sit and talk to your spouse when there is a pile of dishes waiting to be washed right behind them.) It is also a fun opportunity to get dressed up, do my hair and makeup more than my typical daytime look, and put on my favorite accessories!
My favorite date night accessories are actually pretty simple.
- First, I love taking to time to actually paint my nails. I hardly ever have them painted, so it’s always so fun to paint them before a date.
- I will also take the opportunity to grab my darker lipstick to wear.
- I then complete my look with some simple jewelry. I love a pair of statement earrings, gold bangles, and my favorite Jord woodwatch! I don’t put on much more jewelry because I feel like between the dark lipstick, statement earring, and my Jord watch, I am pretty balanced. I love this cool watch because the dark wood matches my entire wardrobe and it can easily be worn dressed up or down! (It’s also a quick way for me to check the time to make sure we don’t need to rush back to get our son ready for bed without pulling out my phone and getting distracted looking at that. We try to have a no phone policy on dates.)
- Lastly, I will grab my small cross body bag. I love bringing this on date nights because it is the complete opposite of my large diaper bag! Haha 😉
Sometimes getting out of the house just is not going to happen. I know that it can be so difficult, especially with young children to get out and go on a date. But that shouldn’t stop you from having date nights! So, we have become experts at the stay at home date nights!Here are a few of our favorites!
4 At-Home Date Night Ideas:
- Rent a movie (or find something on Netflix) to watch together. When you do this, you have to make sure you are sitting close to each other. None of this “you sit over here on the couch and I’ll sit over here on the recliner” business.
- Play a game together. I’ll be the first to admit that our game inventory is not designed for less than 3-4 people. Do you know how hard it is to find a game for just 2 people? But, do your research; I know there are some out there. We personally love card games! There are quite a few that can be done with only 2 people.
- Make a dessert together and sit by candlelight to enjoy it. I want to do a caramel apple station sometime! That sounds fun and fallish 😉
- Dance by candlelight to your favorite song. We love dancing to the song that was played at our wedding during our first dance (brings back all the feels! 😉 )
So whatever you decide, make it special; get dressed up, do your nails, put on your favorite woman’s watch, grab a small bag that doesn’t remind your of diapers; and just be present with your spouse. It doesn’t matter where you are, at home or at a fancy restaurant, as long as you are focusing on each other!
What is your favorite stay-at-home date night? If you do go out, what is your favorite thing to do? What is your date night must have accessories?
I’m hosting a giveaway so you can get your own unique watch! Enter here to win $75 e-gift card toward your own Jord Woodwatch! The best part is, just by entering, you will receive $20 e-gift card towards a watch! Giveaway ends Midnight November 13th! Your $20 e-gift card (and the winners $75 e-gift card) expires February 28th, which gives you plenty of time to get something for Christmas (because yes, that is coming up soon and they have great men’s watches too!)
Now go and schedule your next date night!
*I received this watch courtesy Jord Woodwatches, as always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.