If you follow me on Instagram, you saw that I recently did a 10 day fall wardrobe challenge. I mentioned in my last post that I was not going to be posting about my fall capsule wardrobe. I am still doing one this fall, but I was much more lenient about the typical capsule “rules”.
Anyway, I spontaneously decided to join Carolyn, from UnFancy, in her 10 day wardrobe remix challenge. Basically, you choose 10 items that you will make 10 different outfits from over the course of 10 days. I saw this and thought, “it’s only 10 days! Why not?!” It didn’t take me long to choose my items because I had some absolute favorites that I knew I would add. The only issue was the weather. I love fall and dressing all cozy, but the weather was still very hot, so I had to take that into consideration.
*This post may contain affiliate links.
What I chose:
- 3 tops
- 1 vest
- 1 button up shirt
- 2 bottoms (1 pair jeans, 1 pair leggings)
- 1 dress
- 2 shoes (booties and flats)
This does not include accessories. That’s a major way of wearing a remixable wardrobe is using accessories to change the look of what you are wearing. There is of course other ways such as tucking or tying your tee, using your dress as a skirt by wearing a tee over it, or even rolling your jeans a different way!
The fun part was then choosing my outfits. Here are all 10 outfits I put together.
*Shop my outfits! Striped Tee: Old Navy, similar | Mustard Lace Tee: Loft Outlet, similar, similar | Gray Tee: Old Navy | Vest: Marshals, Similar | Plaid Button up: Old Navy, similar | Jeans: Old Navy | Leggings: Zella | Maxi Dress: Loft Outlet, similar, similar with pockets! | Booties: Walmart!, Similar | Flats: Payless, Similar
I mentioned on Instagram that my typical outfits are similar to day 10, just a tee and jeans with some sort of accessory. (I actually had planned on wearing some cute bracelets with outfit 10, but it was Friday and I totally forgot about it when I went to get dressed, haha!). Anyway, even though that is what I will wear most of the time, I think that was my least favorite outfit. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t LOVE it.
Some things I learned from this challenge:
- Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box. On day 9, we were planning to go apple picking and I really wanted to wear the flannel button up, but I knew it would be too hot. I ended up loving this outfit because it was so different. My husband even kept commenting that he thought I looked really cute on that day (Win! 😉 ).
- Accessories can make or break your outfit. Certain outfits needed a statement accessory to help the outfit feel more put together. Simple jewelry would not have had the same effect as the statement necklace with outfit 4, for example.
- Rolling my jeans makes me look shorter… ha! (but I still plan to when I wear booties!)
- Tying a tee over a maxi dress creates a fun totally different looking outfit! This was my favorite discovery of the whole challenge! I love the way a tied tee shirt looks over my maxi dress. I will be doing this a whole lot more! 😉
- Certain camera angles make me look much taller! (Being 5 feet tall, this was a very exciting discovery!)
- A blanket scarf can make a super plain outfit look so much more fun! I loved wearing it as a cape type item. It did keep slipping, especially when I was trying to hold my son. I did try belting it and liked how that looked, but it felt a little restricting. I may have to try it sometime when I get out of the house without my son ;).
- I need to buy a new striped tee. Mine has a small hole and is getting very worn (I HAVE had it for a few years now…) It is probably my favorite tee shirt, especially since I have noticed it has been in every single capsule since last December! Haha!
Many of you have been saying that you might try doing this challenge and I would totally say “YES!” It was so fun! Plus, I mean, it’s only 10 days. You are not committing to very much time, so why not give it a try. Be sure to let me know if you do!